Sunday, September 27, 2009

Failing To Plan

Weighing in at 173.4 today.

The scale was disappointing today. I woke up feeling good, feeling lighter today, and I felt sure the scale would reflect it.

I guess losing .4 of a pound is nothing to sneeze at. That's almost a half a pound in one day. I guess I felt like I worked really hard for that .4 pounds almost all day yesterday, it was a struggle almost all day. I wanted to see that I'd lost a full pound, or maybe two.

Let's marry my expectations to what actually happened yesterday.

I ate very well, coffee and a banana in the morning. Salad for lunch, with water. A bunch of carrots as a snack in the late afternoon, along with a non fat, unsweetened iced latte. A small piece of chicken pesto pizza for dinner (at a kids birthday party), with water. Always water. Then, late at night after the kids went to bed, I drank two glasses of sugar-free ginger ale with lots of ice.

All told, I did excellently, except for the part after dinner where one of my kids handed me their unfinished birthday cake and I ate 3/4 of it. Dammit. Anyone who says food can not be an addiction doesn't understand. I just could not stop myself. After every bite I said, "This is the last bite". I said that until that cake was nearly gone.

It wasn't my best day for healthy eating. The pizza and the birthday cake were low points, and soda - even sugar-free -- isn't exactly the choice of champions either, but kids' birthday parties and parks and other kinds of kid-related events always get me. Cookies and unhealthy foods and snacks are everywhere that kids are, it seems.

On the bright side, usually when I fail like that, I just give up for the rest of the day, turning it into a binge-fest. I didn't do that yesterday. It's been a very long time - years maybe - since I've been able to stop after an initial "binge trigger" like that. Although I didn't stop myself from finishing the cake, I did stop myself from turning it into an all-night sweets-fest.

Isn't it funny how I expected the scale to reflect that I'd lost more weight, even after I ate a piece of chocolate cake? That's how I operate, it seems. My mind decides to ignore the truth. That's partly what this blog is for: for me to face my weight and related issues with rigorous honesty.

OA says: Those who fail to plan, plan to fail. Lesson: I need to plan better.

No comments:

Post a Comment