Friday, September 25, 2009

First Post: I'm a compuslive overeater

I am a forty year-old compulsive overeater. I am 5'6 and I weigh 174.5 pounds. By my estimation, I am 24 pounds overweight. I have never weighed this much in my life.

I am a working mother in a highly demanding job. I overeat at night, mostly sugary sweets and ice cream. I sometimes hide food. I sometimes make special trips just for sugary food. I look forward to the time when I can just eat. Eating is, I feel, the only thing in my life that is for me. It is my reward for getting through another stressful day successfully.

I arrived here because I tried to diet (again), and for the first time in my life, I realized that I just couldn't do it. In my life, I am an overachiever, a classic perfectionist. I know a lot about healthy eating. Intellectually, I know how to do it. But I don't know that I can do it. It's a big deal for me when I am unable to do something. There are not many things that I can't apply myself to and get done, but I am not sure I will be able to stop eating at night.

It's taken me twenty years to make the connection between my weight, my overeating, and how I hide my emotions. I think I'm going to have to dig into what's driving me to overeat in order to stop it. I'm not looking forward to this journey because I'm afraid to make the fundamental changes that appear to be required.

No comments:

Post a Comment